Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Should we stay or should we go...

We've been contemplating a move. Our house, as it seems, is just too big to manage since I've gone back to work.

We've always loved transforming houses, and this one seemed perfect... all the big stuff was done (new hardwoods added and old hardwoods refinished, new carpet, stained trim painted, popcorn ceilings smoothed), but it was still full of potential for decorating and redesigning. So we bought it. But all that transformation takes time and money, and we have a surplus of neither at the moment.

We thought we'd always host youth events from church, but that hasn't worked out so well either.

And we desperately miss our old neighbors, who were some of our dearest friends. For some reason, we've never really "clicked" in the new neighborhood. I think it's a lot harder to sink roots as the kids get older. It seems like kids bring neighbors together, and once they're all teenagers, they're all off playing sports and hanging out with friends. I can't begin to tell you how much I miss hearing a tap on my garage door and seeing Joy's face peeking in as she turns the knob and says, "Got a minute to visit?" Or how much I miss looking out the front window and seeing the light on across the street. I knew Tina was working late too and it made the night seem not quite so lonely.

So... NOW I'm up late at night surfing the MLS for houses. We're praying. Who knows...
It seems like moving closer to the school (which incidentally means a move closer to Jimmy's new territory) would be wise. We are back and forth A LOT. But the market is down and we'd lose a ton of money selling now. And I'm a little tired of putting our house on the market as soon as we finally finish fixing it up the way we want it.

Who am I kidding? I don't have time to think about this. I've got to finish planning my Treasure Island unit! Avast ye mateys... land ho! Arggggg...

3 comments:

Amy said...

Big decision, but glad it's on your timetable!

Shannon Dingle said...

Hmm, closer to the school and closer to Jimmy's territory sounds like "closer to Shannon" to me. If so, *like.* :)

Kimberly Yeich said...

Have I got the perfect house for you...and it is just down the street from the school! Check out MLS # 1686017. The selers are really motiated to sell...we are ready to be a family again and move to TX! :-) Good luck with your decision.