Monday, February 7, 2011

Pedro came to my house to live...

I found some rugs on sale online at Crate & Barrel.  They were cute. I ordered them. They came. I put them on the floor. The floor looked like it was wearing Pedro's serape... a little like this:

Hey, look at that. It's me in college, stopping to gas up at South of the Border on the way home from Sping Break in Florida. Nice tan.
I do love some color. Truly. So, I'm embracing my Pedro-serape floor coverings. Why I ordered a total of five of these rugs in various sizes is story in itself. What's relevant here is that one landed under the dining room table, replacing an oriental-style rug. Of course that meant I needed new window treatments, and double-of-course I waited until 24-hours before 30 or so people descended on my house for a Super Bowl party.

In panic mode, I hit every store in town, looking for the perfect curtains. The last store left was Kohl's. The Kohl's collection of window treatments pretty much stinks. My Marine instincts kicked in, and I shifted into adapt-improvise-and-overcome mode. I wisked through the sheets. Nothing. I flew through towels. Nope. I sped through the shower curtains. Nada. Then I screeched to a halt in front of the placemats.

Multi-colored bamboo matchstick placemats. I bought five. Turns out I needed only four.


Kohl's placemat.  $3.99 each + 50% off  = $1.99 each.


 Grocery shopping happened at the SuperWalMart, which conveniently stocked clear monofilament.

SuperWalMart. $1.00



I lined up the matchstick placemats two-by-two and tied them together with clear monofilament. Each set took about 10 minutes to secure. 

10 minutes of tying knots. Right-over-left. Left-over-right.

 I ripped down the old window treatments and clipped in the new ones. 

$4.50 per window. 30 minutes.

It's fun and festive--that's for certain. Arriba!

3 comments:

Tracey said...

A-MAZ-ING!

You are still the coolest. evah.

Jenelle Leanne said...

WoW, I am super-impressed, and your window treatments are CUTE! And very fun and festive!

Amy said...

That looks fantastic!! Great idea!