Saturday, August 2, 2014

Challenge 15... ebola...

One time Kelsey gave Zack cholera for his birthday.

Not the disease... the plush microbe. In the basement of the UNC Student Stores, they had a line of common viruses and bacteria, and cholera was soft, fluffy and his favorite shade of blue. We've gotten a lot of mileage out of cholera-related puns.

Last night, though, our attention turned to Ebola. No laughing matter. Not. One. Bit. Hundreds of people in West Africa have already lost their lives to the disease. Two Samaritan's Purse medical professionals are fighting for their lives and are being flown back to Emory.  I was reading news links in my Twitter feed, and was aghast at the hard-hearted, cynical comments. Fear is an ugly thing.

I should know, I've battled microbe-related OCD since ~1995. In its depths, I could neither leave my house nor let anyone into my house without a decontamination process. It was a dark, dark time, and remnants are still with me, but thankfully it's not debilitating anymore. Truly the Lord has healed my mind and equipped me with tools to deal with the throwback moments.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to run up and hug someone with Ebola {which, by the way, would be a stupid thing to do}, but I'm equally sure that keeping our own doctor and nurse our of their own country is cruel and heartless.

I stand in awe of the stories of healthcare professionals who are serving on the front lines of danger, whether it's microbial danger or faith-based persecution or outright military war. Greater love has no man...

You all are in our prayers daily.

Last night I saw a video post on Facebook featuring a Samaritan's Purse doctor talking about the Ebola outbreak on West Africa. It just happened that the doctor on the video was a guy Jimmy went to high school with. The video was uploaded a few weeks ago, and the situation seems to have gotten decidedly worse.

Please pray and check out the video below:


No comments: