Saturday, May 3, 2008

P.O.W....

If I were a puppy, you'd say I've been a little "yippy" and "nippy" the past few days. You know how dogs get when they're really excited... they yip and yap and bark at everything. Sometimes they may even get a little rough and nip the hand of those who love and care for them.

That's me.

I was pondering my emotional state this morning, thinking about how self-control is my weak spot when I'm stressed. When we did Beth Moore's "Fruit of the Spirit" study in SBS (Summer Bible Study) a couple of years ago, one of the truths that stuck in my heart was the point she made about self-control. For women... for me... it most often involves the mouth. We wrestle with what goes in AND what comes out.

Yep, that's me... and never more so than when I'm stressed.

So this morning I was contemplating self-control as a point of weakness. In my mind, I called it a P.O.W. Then, I thought, I can't call it a P.O.W. That means Prisoner Of War.

Whoa!

Yes, it does. And that's exactly what I am when I let my lack of self-control get the better of me in the stressful time. I am a Prisoner Of War.


Finally, receive your power from the Lord
and from His mighty strength.
Put on all the armor that God supplies.
In this way you can take a stand
against the devil's strategies.
This is not a wrestling match against a human opponent.
We are wrestling with rulers, authorities, the powers
who govern this world of darkness,
and spiritual forces that control evil in the heavenly world.
For this reason, take up all the armor that God supplies.
Then you will be able to take a stand during these evil days.
Once you have overcome all obstacles,
you will be able to stand your ground.

Ephesians 6:10-13 (GWT)

No comments: