Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy New Year!

Our family tradition for New Year's Eve is to stay at home. We've been doing that for as long as I can remember and to be honest, the last New Year's Eve I can remember actually going somewhere was when I was a little girl and we went to a little Baptist church that decided to have a big New Year's Eve party one year. It was formal. I do not recall dancing. But it was a lot of fun. I wore the dress that I'd worn in my cousin's wedding as a flower girl. That New Year's Eve was probably around 1973 or 74.

Even as a teenager, I remember just staying home to watch the big apple drop on "Dick Clark's Rockin' New Year's Eve." Definitely after we got married. I think we may have had friend over a year or two, but for the most part, it was just Jimmy and me. So when kids came along there were no major adjustments to our New Year's Eve tradition. No scheduling sitters months in advance. No feeling like we were making sacrifices to be home with the babies. It just went on quietly like it had for many, many years.

This year, at nearly the last minute, I texted my sweet friend, Tina, and asked her if they had plans. We were grilling burgers and had plenty to share. Their traditions were changing and they were still figuring out this year's plans, so they came on over and we had a wonderfully relaxed, sweet time together.

There was food and laughter. Video gaming. Story-telling. Special talks from Mr. Steve for each of our kids. Football. Confetti. A chemistry lesson featuring sodium bicarbonate. A quick birthday celebration for Zane. A football ice cream cake. Sharing of traditions and reminders of what we're planning to do when the grandkids come along.



And there was a motorcycle jump that captivated every one's attention, possibly more for the computer-generated graphics of every way the rider could get maimed if he did one tiny thing wrong than for the actual jump itself. Although the jump was a success in that the rider survived and didn't plummet 10 stories to the ground, getting crushed between the pavement and his motorcycle at the end, there was a lovely injury to his finger that led to the comment, "Ewww! That's not right!" as one of the rider's digits pointed a different direction from the others.



We all got to bed WAAAYYY later than we should have and woke up earlier than we wanted to. But for the most part on New Year's Day we honored all the long-standing Southern Family traditions.

I did not do any laundry at any time on New Year's Day. Granny always said, "If you wash on New Year's, you'll wash someone out of the family." We're not the least bit superstitious, but I never was too certain about whether Granny was or not. She swore that the one year she cheated and washed on New Year's Day, her uncle died. It's not like no one in the family died the years she didn't wash, but it's tradition.

My mom says that whatever you do on New Year's is what you'll do the rest of the year. So we spent the day resting and relaxing, eating well and visiting. We ate collard greens and black eyed peas and a little ham too. There were other things, but beyond collard greens and black-eyed peas, on New Year's Day, what other foods really matter? And of course, there were dimes under our plates for good luck. I read about that tradition in a book of NC folklore when I was in elementary school, so we've done it ever since. There were movies and football. Always football.


I'm not making any resolutions this year. I just want to be faithful to the One who gave Himself for me. I want to fellowship with Him deeply everyday. I want to hear Him clearly when He speaks. I want to know His Word and teach it to my children. I want to respect and love my husband. I want to honor my parents. I want to cherish my friends.

Happy New Year!



No comments: