Saturday, January 9, 2010

Things worth doing...

With time at such a premium in our house, I am working hard to spend time doing only things worth doing.

Tonight was a wonderful night. It was worth missing a couple of calendar events to have a relaxed dinner as a family. Most of this week we have eaten dinner and rushed out the door to an event or headed back to homework, but tonight we had no firm commitments to be anywhere but here. And tomorrow we have no school. *Deep sigh of relief.*

I was freezing cold at dinner. Jimmy decided to grill pork chops outside in 30 degree weather -- they were awesome by the way -- but during prep time, the backdoor was opened and closed a bunch. I am not a warm-natured person, and I shivered through dinner until everyone was through. As we were finishing up, I walked over to the chair where I usually sit and stood above my little personal space heater, wrapped in a blanket. I said, "I am SO chilled!" There was a little banter, and then Jimmy and I both sang at the same time, "I got chills! They're multiplying!" And Kelsey joined in. And before we knew it, we had a family tribute to Grease going on. Tone for the evening set.

Once you venture into the territory of singing Broadway show tunes at dinner, there aren't many activity options for the rest of the evening that can begin to touch sing-along time, but we managed. After Zacky went to bed, the rest of us settled in for a MST3K double-feature. Can't remember laughing that much in a LONG time!

After feeling so many years like I couldn't miss anything, I'm getting comfortable with pickin' and choosin'. I'm glad tonight we chose home and family and laughter. That was definitely a thing worth doing.

1 comment:

Tracey said...

I believe that these are the memories kids hold on to. Fun, laughter, and good food with the people they will treasure for a lifetime.

Thanks for blessing me twice this week with your posts.

Hugs.