Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Answer to prayer...

Our yard is covered with oak trees. There's a theory that oak trees produce massive numbers of acorns every other year. Not true in our yard. Our trees drop massive numbers of acorns every year. Acorns are such a pain. They sprout. Then you have to pull them up or mow them down constantly for the next... forever.

We couldn't rake the yard during the annual acorn drop this year because the lawn guy had done a bunch of work and the baby grass was just getting established.

I was a little miffed at the trees. They messed up the yard. The lawn guy came by one day and blew the acorns to one more-or-less confined area of the yard. We had acorn drifts. I stepped on a pile of acorns and my foot sank about three inches without ever hitting dirt. What an accumulation of acorns. I am confident they were at least six to eight inches deep in some places.

Now, I'm a believer in God's sovereignty. If He can create the earth and keep it going in spite of our human antics, He can probably handle the acorns in my yard. So I decided to take Him up on all those verses about how He cares for the little things like the sparrows and the hairs on my head, and I prayed, "Lord, please make these acorns go away!"

Know what happened after that? A family of deer started coming into our yard. Usually there were two or three, but at times there were as many as seven. Look at what this sweet little girl is doing for us! She's eating acorns!

Our Heavenly Father doesn't have to answer prayers the way we think He will. Usually He answers them in a way that is far better than we can ask or imagine. Today I am praising Him for sending the blessing of deer that eat the acorns out of my yard.

No comments: