Saturday, September 18, 2010

Happy Zackerday!



Zack's birthday came and went amid a blizzard of volleyball games, football games, tests and quizzes, laundry, and housecleaning. Bless his heart. He was born in the busy season. I'm not talking about the tightly-packed-schedule season. I'm talking about the Help-I-am-suffocating-with-things-I-have-to-do-and-place-I-have-to-be season.

Yet my little guy is such a trooper. For his whole life he's been along for the ride, literally and figuratively. Sometimes he handles that with grace. Sometimes he struggles. Always he is my baby baby, although he flip flops on liking that at age nine.

This year we decided that we'd celebrate his "family" birthday in a low-key manner. He opened a couple of presents at breakfast, a couple at lunch, and a couple at dinner. The schedule was his request. That was last Sunday. On Monday I took cupcakes to lunch. He was the hero. Cupcake-takers always are, now that sugar is all but banned from school cafeterias.

We cruised through the rest of the week without birthday festivities. We did manage to have a manic third-grade studying week, though.

Then Friday arrived, and we celebrated in a total blow-out at Frankie's Fun Park.

I can't begin to tell you the knot I had in the pit of my stomach over inviting every boy in his class and a couple of his football buddies to come to Frankies. There were 13 boys, and the party was decidedly all-boy themed. But it turned out great. Yep, beyond all we could have asked or imagined. Rest assured, I was asking loud and often.

I leave you with a few pics of the festivities. I am thankful for God's kindness and faithfulness to a tired mom and her sweet nine-year-old.







No comments: