Friday, August 29, 2008

Potpourri for $200, Alex...

Here we are, nearing the end of the second week of school. I am exhausted. I forgot how psychologically intense it is to teach a new class. Whew! I fell asleep on the sofa after dinner tonight and slept straight through the Democratic nominee's acceptance speech-- rats! (, she said with a hint of sarcasm, working the ambiguity inherent in the sentence.)

You know it's been a long week when you can't remember how to spell lettuce. Kelsey had to look it up on her iTouch spelling game to prove to me just how fried my brain is right now.

Anyway... I haven't written anything here in a while, but I have been writing. I babysat Lasting Divergence again this week. It was fun. If you haven't been there, check out the post titled "Dinner Time - Part 2" and try out some of the questions. Click here to go to the Lasting Divergence blog.

Our family has tried some of these conversation-starters at dinner before and I've even used a few as icebreakers for my journalism class. I have typed the questions and printed them on card stock and cut them up and placed them in a blue mesh pouch. My students come in and ask everyday if we can do the question bag.

Tomorrow is Athletic Events Day for our family. Kelsey has a volleyball game and Zane plays in his first JV football game. At the same time, of course. But uncharacteristic of our manic schedule for the moment, they're at least playing at the same school

Not sure I'm ready for football. It's a far cry from the little league guys, looking like Michelin men as they bounce off each other. And of course, Zane plays center on offense and guard on defense. Please pray.

One good thing I've discovered so far this football season is that Dorothy and I watch games exactly the same way... field, cheerleaders, conversation with friends, "What happened? Oh, thanks," concession stand, wave at buddies walking by, plan future tailgating, "Who just scored?"

On the other hand, Roland and Jimmy watch the game with the same competitive (understatement) spirit. Jimmy's in the press box working the clock this season. Tomorrow night, Roland will join him there. When you think of it, a high school press box does look a little like an old fashioned clubhouse, doesn't it?

Off to upstairs... I would say off to bed, but that's a good hour away now, as there is ironing and showering and quiet timing on the list ahead of slumbering.

1 comment:

Shannon Dingle said...

So I wasn't the only one tired out after our morning at the mall yesterday! :) I did get to see the acceptance speech (and was quite bummed that Obama didn't take his cue from Hillary and wear all orange), but only because I slept on the couch during Jocelyn's naptime.