Friday, September 5, 2008

Waiting for Hanna

Well... here we are again. I love weather. I love weather that's out of the ordinary. Hurricanes. Thunderstorms. Snow storms. I love it.

Of course, I do not like the destructive effects of severe weather one bit. But I do stand in awe of the power of our God when I see how fierce weather can be and I think that He is so much bigger than it all. I know it's odd, but in some weird way, big weather events are very comforting to me.

I have been manic in preparing for extraordinary weather events pretty much all my life. So rest assured that our household has bottled water and batteries and even a crank-handle NOAA weather radio. We have pretzels and peanut butter and bread and tuna. But seriously, who in this house would actually eat tuna without mayonnaise and salad cubes? No one. Yet, we have it. And all our important documents are on hand. And extra meds and bandages.

I have no idea how a community water system functions in a storm. City water was slam-dunk easy, though, in Fran and Floyd. I mentioned to Jimmy that we might need to run water for bathing and he, bless his heart, pointed out that we have pool and don't really need to bathe inside. We can just take soap to the pool.

OK... Ewww...

So... all systems are "go" and as of 5:30 this afternoon, we'll all be sitting in the house, waiting for Hanna to pass through.

1 comment:

Shannon Dingle said...

We're not underprepared, but I don't think we're as prepared as you! I think that's mainly because Lee trusts me to be the hurricane-knowledgeable one since I'm from FL ... but I grew up the daughter of a man who ran a jail and a woman who ran a hospital, so we never had emergency kits at home because if a big storm came, Mom and Dad went to work and we kids chose jail or hospital (and the dogs usually went with Dad to the jail). I never had to think about what would happen if a storm hit at home!