Monday, February 16, 2009

A Taylor Swift for every occasion...

There is no way you could ever in a million years get me to go back and relive my teen years. Bleh! It's the roller coaster ride that leaves you feeling sick without the thrill of pulling G's.

I don't know. Maybe it's the fact that spring was in the air and now the weather's gone all winter again. Or maybe it's the fact that Valentine's has come and gone. I don't know. But it seems like drama is bustin' out all over in Teen World.

Back in the day when I was going through it, Gloria Gaynor gave voice to survival of the drama trauma. Yes, I'm old.

Now, there's a new voice in town, the champion of adolescent girls: Taylor Swift.

I like Taylor Swift. She has a song for every occasion. Nearly. There's one for...

... every girl's dream ...

... unrequited love ...

... an angry break-up ...

... oh-no-you-di'int ...

... the painful-but-wise break-up ...

... a celebration of friendship ...


Life rolls on, you know, in spite of the drama. As a teacher, I hate to see my students go through it. As a mom, it tears out my heart. Of course, there IS a Forever Prince. And there is a Happily Ever After. I hope the girls that I work with know that. I pray the one in my house knows that.

In the meantime, I'm glad to have Taylor Swift floating around on You Tube to give a voice to emotion so deep.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I love Taylor Swift! I think it's because of the high school angst-y-ness. I'm a sucker for that stuff.

The Comers said...

Quite insightful
From a fellow mom of a teenage girl who enjoys TS. : )