Saturday, November 27, 2010

First Sunday in Advent? Tomorrow!


Well... this would be why I'm not coordinating the Celebrating Christmas blog anymore. Today is First Advent Sunday Eve, and I just got home from buying new Advent candles for our wreath.  Life happens differently each year.

Two years ago when we did Celebrating Christmas live, I was teaching one class at the Christian school where our kids go. Last year I worked full time and did well to remember my name and address on any given day. This year I'm part time and I can remember my name and address most days, but I realize that celebrating the coming of the King needs excellence. With nearly 50 short stories to read, exams to write and grade, and essays to teach, there's just no way that's going to happen.

So, if you're one of the people who said you'd be interested in writing for Celebrating Christmas, let me challenge you to post your thoughts on your own blog, and I will link to it, if I'm not already linked to it. :)

We'll have a cyber-Christmas party and encourage each other along the way.

During the holiday season (and don't get me started about the whole why-we-should-call-it-a-holiday-season thing... I did a post on it here two years ago), I hope that you will take a few minutes each day to treasure the One Who came to reconcile us to our Creator.  I pray He will be the center of your holiday season.  Goodness, I pray that He will be the center of MY holiday season.  I am so "prone to wander, Lord I feel it/ prone to leave the God I love."

With that in mind, here's my list of things I'm doing during this holiday season to focus on loving Jesus and loving others:

1. Keep reading through the One-Year Bible for my quiet time.
2. For family devotions each night, use an Advent calendar that focuses on the gospel message.
3. Sleep at least 6 hours a night so that I will be alert and engaged in # 1 & 2.
4. Work diligently during my planning time at school so that I can sleep 6 hours at night.
5. Have coffee with at least 3 friends between now and the end of Christmas break. 
6. Host one holiday fun event. Maybe even a caravan of Christmas lights tour and dessert fest... hmmm...
7. Update my iPod to include funky, deep, and Christmas worship playlists.
8. Exercise.
9. Get to know the neighbors better.
10. Family movie nights.  And LOTS of laughter.

By the way, if you are observing Advent this year and haven't settled on devotions yet, click here for a couple of Scripture lists you can use.  

So... what about you?  What do you hope to do this Christmas season?

No comments: