Friday, July 25, 2008

My plan for the future...

Legos. Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars. Wooden blocks. A razor scooter. Inline skates. Playmobil people. Legos. Take-along Thomas and Friends. Lincoln logs. Plastic dinosaurs. Legos. Playdough molds. Barbie shoes. Dice. Crayons and magic markers. Cherries from Hi Ho! Cherry-O. Legos. GI Joe and Max Steel guns. Batman action figures. Costume jewelry. Polly Pocket accessories. And, uh... Legos!

I have stepped on, tripped over, or kicked everything on that list at one time or another since giving birth.

And I have decided something.

I am going to live to be 100 years old. Until I reach 51, I will declutter my house and live simply. But once I reach my 51st birthday, I'm starting a collection. I got the idea from my Grandma Bennett, who had quite a collection of her own. Pie pans and butter tubs.

I'm going to forgo the pie pans. But butter tubs and Cool Whip containers... I'm going to accumulate a mountain of them. Maybe egg cartons too. You can put a lot of good stuff into an egg carton.

And I'm going to leave a secret surprise inside each container. Maybe a Lego creation. Or a copy of an old report card. Or a few Hi Ho! cherries. Some old dress-up earrings. A Happy Meal Bionicle. Or Furby.


Certainly a little cash... $1 here, $5 there, $10 once or twice. And maybe some notes. And pictures. And of course a few balls of dried-up Playdough. And a die-cast Thomas the Tank Engine. And Pokemon cards... can't forget those.

I would hate the thought that my children could just throw out all those containers without opening each and every one and sorting through all the little treasures I've saved for them... and their children... and maybe even their grandchildren.

It's awfully tempting to go ahead and start collecting, but I'm going to show a little restraint. Just a little... for a few more years. But who's to say I can't test a few theories in the meantime.



Only eight more eggs to go, and I'll have room for the whole Speed Racer set!!! Yippee!!!


No comments: