Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Life in the candy store...

The traditional way of saying that you are joyously overwhelmed at all the possiblities is using a simile (a literary device making a direct comparison using like or as): Norma is like a kid in a candy store seeing the potential for all her summer projects.

Only my first real life "candy store" was actually K&W. Now it's a K&S... good ol' cafeteria eatin'. But back in the day it was the K&W and we would head there or the Piccadilly for Sunday dinner (which was always at lunch time, which is a whole 'nother blog post... lunch vs. dinner vs. supper). I can remember walking through the line and piling my plate... nay, my tray, for I had to annex space for the additional little dishes of jello salad and baked apples and strawberry shortcake...so full that I could barely balance it to carry it from the silver tray track over to the table. I always had to go back and get the drink. I can hear my parents now, "Your eyes are bigger than your stomach. There's no way you'll ever eat all that." And I never did. Of couse, it never went to waste either, as a very wise parent would hold back on getting a lot of food, knowing there'd be leftovers on the kid's plate.

Waxing a little Forrest Gump here
: Life is like a K&W. You always pile more on your tray than you can actually eat in one sitting.

Well, my eyes are still the biggest part of me. I look at the blank canvas (literally) and see so many possibilities. I look at the old nightstand at the Goodwill store and see so many possibilities. I look at the beads at Michaels and see so many possibilities. I look at the fabric at Mill Outlet Village and see so many possibilities. I look at the magnetic paint, wood trim, and dry erase paneling at Lowes and see so many possibilities. Sometimes I just wish I could see things as they are and not as the could be because for me, the biggest rush comes from imagining how things could be and not so much in the actual process of making them that way.

Ask my mom about the shutters. I start. I hit a little glitch. I stop. It never gets finished.

So it's accountability time. Here's what I have on my plate now:


...the (now) unfinished nightstand is becoming a side table in the family room...

...the stairway to the playroom that I want to paint with magnetic paint so I can display artsy-craftys...

...frames to finish painting black and nail on the wall to display stuff up and down the basement stairs...

... canvases that need to become artwork for display in the basement rec room...



...basement storage that needs cubbies/shelves to get whipped into shape...

... the cave - paint apple green; make window treatments; put weather-stripping under the door to the "basementy" part...



... and I STILL need to decide what color to paint the columns and paint them!

I'm kinda thinkin' that no one's holding back on their own projects so they can come in and rescue me. I'm either going to have to get to work bigtime or get my fanny out of the candy store.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Ooooh! Exciting! I'll look forward to seeing the "after" pictures. The nightstand looks like a good solid find!

poison_ivy777 said...

You are preaching to the choir! I LOVE seeing the possibilities and have endless projects to accomplish. Alhtough I will say I actually DO like doing them and getting them accomplished and almost to a fault as I will compromise halfway through if something goes wrong and it would typically require me to stop, lol. My kids recently spent a few weeks at the grandparents freeing me up a lil to get some things done and I got one of my major projects done (that has been on my list for THREE years!) I think I'll do a post about my summer projects as well! Hope you get yours done!