Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A rainy Tuesday...


Normally, a rainy Tuesday morning would be awesome. Lying in bed, listening to the sound of the rain pouring down against the roof, drifting in and out of consciousness, and relishing the snuggly feeling of I-don't-have-to-go-out-there merge to create a sense of perfection.

But on this particular morning, as the yellow/red on the doppler map passed over our house, my baby girl was up and straightening her hair, getting ready for her first behind-the-wheel session in Driver's Ed. I don't have any idea how that happened. I'm certain that a couple of weeks ago, she was three feet tall and I was waking to the startling sensation of a preschooler tickling my nose and whispering, "Mommy, are you still sleeping?" :)

Riding in the car with her and the instructor was a high school boy who had never before been behind the wheel of a car and evidently found a talent for running over trash cans. Kelsey took the wheel first, fearlessly in the torrential downpour. She loved every minute of it. I sat home and prayed.

She'll be out on the road again Wednesday and Thursday mornings. Who am I kidding? She's going to be out on the road from now on.

No comments: