Monday, June 16, 2014

Challenge 10... pantry cleaning...

Cleaning out the cabinets and pantry.

When he saw the fully decluttered and cleaned pantry, Zack announced that we have NO FOOD in the house. All I did was throw out the expired food. That should tell you it's been a long time since I've cleaned out the pantry. I thought I cleaned out the pantry about a year ago, but surely I wouldn't have left cans in there that expired in 2012 2010 2007. Surely.

In the cabinets above the toaster oven, I found a stash of Chick-fil-a sauce and ketchup that would amaze the Hoarders team. The sauce, ketchup, extra plastic ware, and the wooden clementine crate they were sitting in all landed in one of the four extra large trash bags we tossed.

The sad part is that I cleaned out only one small pantry and only three cabinets' worth of food storage. I still have the other half of food cabinets to go. Then cups. Then plates and bowls. Then storage containers. Then cooking/baking equipment. Then serving pieces. Then candles. (WHO ON EARTH HAS AN ENTIRE CABINET FOR CANDLES?!) Then vases and sundry glass containers for decorative purposes. It's going to be a long haul.

Clutter gives me the illusion of having plenty, but in all honesty, it's largely junk. I'm looking forward to getting rid of the unnecessary stuff in our house over the course of summer break. Just 30 minutes to an hour a day... that's all.

Onward and upward to the spice cabinet... and Kitchen Declutter Phase 1 is complete.

It's not easy living such a glamorous life.






No comments: